What is Chakra Balancing and why is it important?
Balancing your chakras improves your health and wellbeing, physically, mentally and emotionally. Chakras are wheels of light located all over our body. We have thousands of them in our body but the seven major ones are located along our spine from its base to the crown of the head. Each chakra is represented by a colour of the rainbow - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet.
- Crown Chakra - Top of Head - Violet
- Third Eye/Brow Chakra - Above & between eyebrows - Indigo
- Throat Chakra - Base of throat - Blue
- Heart Chakra - Centre of chest - Green
- Solar Plexus Chakra - Just above navel - Yellow
- Sacral Chakra - Just below navel - Orange
- Root/Base Chakra - Base of spine - Red
Chakras are like the power stations of our body, bringing it to life, and keeping it healthy. Each chakra is associated with different parts of us and they need to spin totally in balance for us to feel good.
The chakras absorb energy that comes from our thoughts, feelings and outside environment and feed this to our body. Our body is affected by the quality of the energy that passes through the chakras. For instance, if we have negative feelings, we will be filtering negative energy through our chakras and into our body Over time this can make our body ill. Our chakras also absorb energy from the environment. Other people's negative emotions or a room full of clutter will produce an unhealthy energy which we absorb.
We cannot avoid coming into contact with negative energy or feeling down sometimes, but there is a lot that we can do to change our feelings from negative to positive and to protect ourselves from harmful energy in the environment. Keeping our chakras in tip-top condition is the key, in other words keeping them spinning in balance. Chakra balancing is a bit like spring-cleaning the chakras and fine-tuning them.
Each chakra is associated with different body parts, emotions and life areas, so in balancing each chakra, you will be giving energy and help to any issues or problems you have. There are too many areas to discuss in one article, but very general associations are shown below:
- Root Chakra - Survival, Security, Energy, Trust, Power to achieve - Part of body - Skeleton, Legs, Bones, Spine, Large intestine
- Sacral Chakra - Feelings, Self-awareness, Self-love, Creativity - Part of body - Kidneys, Bladder, Sexual organs, Reproductive system
- Solar Plexus Chakra - Personality, Self-respect, Self-confidence - Part of body - Digestive system, Small intestine, Skin, Nervous system
- Heart Chakra - Love, Compassion, Sharing, Forgiveness - Part of body - Heart, Chest, Lungs, Arms, Hands, Circulation
- Throat Chakra - Creative self-expression, Communication, Inspiration - Part of body - Throat, Neck, Nose, Mouth, Teeth
- Third Eye Chakra - Intuition, Understanding, Insight, Realization - Part of body - Eyes, Ears, Base of skull, Nervous system
- Crown Chakra - knowing, wholeness, perfection, enlightenment, unity - Part of body - Upper skull, Skin